Obtaining a US Green Card Through Family

The opportunity to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis is a dream come true for many foreigners. However, living and working in the US doesn’t come easy. The coveted American dream is only granted to foreigners with US green cards. There are many ways to become a green card holder depending on whether you currently reside in the US or abroad. The following is a brief look at how to obtain a green card through family members.

According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, individuals may qualify for US green cards through an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. An immediate relative includes spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older.

In addition to immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen, many people get green cards through a family member of a green card holder. This means that if your spouse or unmarried child has a green card, you may be eligible to one, too. Individuals may also qualify for a green card through a family member of a US citizen who fits certain categories. Unique categories include unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21, married children of any age, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older.

Although the process to obtain a green card can seem overwhelming, you can get help. The professional USA immigration attorneys at Solutions In Law LTD can help discuss your options and develop the best approach for your situation. Contact Solutions in Law today.